I am not even sure that it is related to freebsd, but maybe someone could
point out the problem.

We wanted to upgrade our hosting server from
FreeBSD 6.2, 3ware 8506-4LP SATA RAID, raid 5
FreeBSD 7.1 (RC for now), 9550SXU-4LP, raid 10

We have tested the new installation on ASUS P5K WS motherboard
with PCI-X slot while the server kept running.

The server has Supermicro X5DPE-G2  (pretty old one, 2004).

So, when everything was ready, i just took out the old controller and
disks and installed the new controller and the array disks.

The system booted up, but when i started very intense file operations the file system just froze. The weird thing is that any open program which does not use filesystem kept running fine. For example, i could type and edit in open ee editor, but copying progress bar in midnight commander just stood still. If i tried to save file or open file or do anything disk related from ee in another console the program froze too, apparently waiting for disk system to reply forever (i tried waiting for 20 minutes). I could even connect to ssh port, but it does not auth because sshd needs to read something
from the disk.
I put everything back into Asus P5K WS and tested it. Everything worked fine again.

Any idea what might going on here?

--
Artem