Gary Kline wrote:
        folks,

        is there a way i can be sure that my little C program has copied a
        dos/win file named, say, foo.htm\;7 to simply foo.htm?

        my program uses fopen/fgets/fputs to copy the markup files.  of
the several i have copied, no problem. unless i hack cmp or diff, i have to avoid the shell.

        any ideas? in other words, does anybody have a prefab cmp(oldfile,
newfile)
        fn?

        gary

http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/ seems to maybe do what you want-- essentially diff should solve your problem, although I'm not too clear on how that works on differently compiled binaries.

I also seem to recall there was a test function that returned different results based on if the two files mentioned as arguments were identical, but I can't recall offhand quite what it was.

-- CJC