On Dec 30, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Pieter Donche wrote:
Now, when someone already registered his laptop, and buys a new
latop to replace the old (a different MAC address), can then omshell
be used to record the change in the /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf file?
Does omshell edit the  /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf?

Or is the only way to make changes to that file, to use an plain text
editor, make the change manually and do a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc- dhcpd restart afterwards ?

I hadn't heard about omshell or OMAPI until seeing your post. So my answer is based on no experience other than just reading its man pages.

It appears that OMAPI does not edit the dhcpd.conf file. However, changes made through OMAPI will be reflected in dhcpd.leases with the line

 dynamic;

indicating that the lease was created via OMAPI. Thus, in principle one could write a daemon that would watch dhcpd.leases for new dynamic leases and then call something that would edit dhcpd.conf. I don't know if anyone has put that together, but it would make sense to ask in places where OMAPI is discussed.

Best of luck with this,

Cheers,

-j