Peter Boosten wrote:
On server, it means : 1440MB / 84s = 17MB/s
On client, that becomes : 1440MB / 266s = 5.4MB/s

I know the disk is not very fast, but i would like the NFS layer not to add too much...

I don't want my users to wait between 3 or 4 times more because computer is using NFS.

In my opinion there are more considerations than only nfs: the data is pulled twice over the network, and the tar process might initiate paging which is done over the network as well. The tar comparison is not a good one.

I would welcome any way to check that idea on the system.

But :
- tar is directed to /dev/null so that should avoid any physical writing ;
- there is still memory FREE on both server and client while taring ;
- the effect of tar is the same on server and client, so the "induced error" should be the same time on both.

Thanks a lot,
Best regards,
--
Bernard DUGAS Mobile +33 615 333 770