Hi,

> The only reason I said tower is I am making the server almost identical
> to my desktop machine which is the most reliable machine I have had in
> my 20 year career and thus am going to be using the same case and such

I'd be afraid that the "almost" would be enough to break the
reliability.

That said, on the idea of mounting your mother board in a rack mount
case, I did that a few time, the major problem is that the CPU fan is
quite high, and need some space above it for proper air-flow; so you
often end-up with a 2U or 3U rack case while 1U would be enough to fit
the motherboard and the disks if the vetilation for the CPU was
designed for rack mount.

Bests,

Olivier