hi,

i would like to know, if it has a sense to compile software provided
in form of ports in /usr/ports. I mean, I know there is a bunch of
options you can choose from and make certain application more
suitable for your hardware / software needs. I just want to know, if
I can install software in binary form (eg. pkg_add -r soft) without
a significant change of performance to my machine. If I lost some
percents of perfromance, I would rather install it in that way like
to compile it and lose a lot of time ...
Yes, there is also a matter of patches and updates, because software
is constantly improving. Have even a packages in binary form a sense?

thank you