"Bert-Jan" <i...@bert-jan.com> writes:

> I do find it strange though, that freebsd-update replaced those files,
> even though it tells you it's going to change them.

I don't use freebsd-update, so I'm just trying to figure it out from
reading the program.  [freebsd-update is mostly just a shell script]

> What is the proper way to handle this ? Can I run a command after the
> update finishes that regenerates the account databases from the
> master.passwd ? I checked the history and *I* never touched it during the
> update, so it was merged like it should.

I'm not sure what the proper way is; there's certainly code in there to
update the databases automatically, so you *shouldn't* have to do
anything.  To do the same thing manually, you can use pwd_mkdb(8).  When
you edit the password database with vipw(8), this is handled for you.

I'd recommend trying to reproduce the problem on a spare machine, so we
can understand it better.

                http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/