I have to use paper-sneakernet because
- no network connectivity yet
- tried plugging in a memory stick; it flashed but nothing showed up with the 'mount' command

Here are the last two entries from the 'pciconf -lv' command, which look relevant to the problem. I had to write them down on paper and walk over to this room to type them. Please pardon any typos:

no...@pci0:2:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x2abf103c chip=0x816810ec rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
   vendor          = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
   device          = 'RTL 8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC'
   class           = network
   subclass        = ethernet

fwoh...@pci:1:5:0: class=0x0c0010 card=0x2a6f103c chip=0x581111c1 rev=0x70 hdr=0x00
   vendor          = 'Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: AT&T MicroElectronics)'
   device          = 'FW322 1394A PCI PHY/Link Open Host Ctrlr I/F'
   class           = serial bus
   subclass        = FireWire

It sounds like I have both an ethernet adapter and firewire. Some part of FreeBSD recognises both. However the network configuration recognises the firewire and not the ethernet adapter as available for networking. This is despite the network adapter actually being connected by CAT5 to a live network.

Question 0. Is there a way to get ifconfig to recognise the ethernet adapter?

Question 1.  Is it possible that FreeBSD 7.1 would do a better job?

Question 2.  How can I mount and write stuff to my memory stick on this OS?

-Will