On Jan 12, 2009, at 9:56 PM, Jay Hall wrote:
I am in the process of redesigning my organization's network. And, since we will be using mostly Macintosh OS X clients, I am considering using NFS. However, I will need the ability to perform user/group authentication since users may not always log in from the same PC.

Essentially, each user has a home directory which only they, and possibly their secretary, needs to have access to. And, we have directories which groups of people need access to.

Given the above requirements, Samba/CIFS is probably a better match for what you are doing that NFS would be.

From the reading I have done this evening, my understanding is NFSv4 will meet all of these needs. Is this correct? And, is there a better way to accomplish this?

Note that Apple only ships NFSv3-aware software, and I'm not sure whether FreeBSD supports NFSv4 yet either. There appears to be external work here:

  http://snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca/nfsv4/
  http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/

...which you might look into.

Regards,