On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:23:09PM -0500, Johann Hasselbach wrote:
> I read the "encrypting disk partitions" section of the Handbook. What
> is the preferred method nowdays, geli or gbde?

Geli seems to be the preferred method these days. It is also what I use
to encrypt my /home. It works without problems for me.

A geli-encrypted device gets the extension .eli. The boot scripts handle
it automatically when they see an .eli device in /etc/fstab. Depending
on how you configured it you might have to give the passphrase.

You can even encrypt your root directory, but in that case I think
you'll need an unencrypted partition for /boot.

> Is there another method that would be better?

Depends on what you define as better. I don't think so. Geli is
convenient and seems to work well. On modern machines the performance
penalty is slight. It supports well-regarded encryption algorithms like
AES and Blowfish.

Roland