On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:02 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

On Jan 13, 2009, at 11:51 PM, Pieter Donche wrote:

What's wrong? Why does this not work out of the box ??

Given the security history of sendmail, it's not prudent to enable sendmail by default.

It's not just that, but people who don't understand how mail transport works, shouldn't be running mail servers.

I expect to deal with sendmail for as long as I administer Unix boxes, but alternatives like Postfix in particular would be my preference from a number of standpoints.

I'm in the same position. I starting running alternatives to sendmail in the late 90s on systems that I knew I was always going to maintain, but for systems that would be passed to others to maintain, I stuck with installing sendmail because there was much more expertise. Now a- days, I'm happy to set up Postfix on such systems (but will still use exim for myself).

Cheers,

-j