On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 02:22:13PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote: > Ulf Lilleengen wrote: > > On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 04:23:30PM -0500, Brian McCann wrote: > >> Hi all. I'm cross-posting this since I figure I'll have better luck > >> finding someone who's done this before... > >> > >> I'm building a system that has 4 1.5TB Seagate SATA drives in it. > >> I've setup gvinum and made mirrors for my OS partitions, and a raid5 > >> plex for a big data partition. I'm trying to get gjournal to run on > >> the raid5 volume...but it's doing stuff that isn't expected. First, > >> here's my gvinum config for the array: > >> > >> ---snip--- > >> drive e0 device /dev/ad8s1g > >> drive e1 device /dev/ad10s1g > >> drive e2 device /dev/ad12s1g > >> drive e3 device /dev/ad14s1g > >> volume array1 > >> plex org raid5 128k > >> sd drive e0 > >> sd drive e1 > >> sd drive e2 > >> sd drive e3 > >> ---/snip--- > >> > >> Now...according to the handbook. the volume it creates is essentially > >> a disk drive. So...I run the following gjournal commands to make the > >> journal, and here's what I get: > >> > >> ---snip--- > >> # gjournal label /dev/gvinum/array1 > >> GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 4267655417: gvinum/plex/array1.p0 contains data. > >> GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal 4267655417: gvinum/plex/array1.p0 contains journal. > >> GEOM_JOURNAL: Journal gvinum/plex/array1.p0 clean. > >> GEOM_JOURNAL: BIO_FLUSH not supported by gvinum/plex/array1.p0. > >> # gjournal list > >> Geom name: gjournal 4267655417 > >> ID: 4267655417 > >> Providers: > >> 1. Name: gvinum/plex/array1.p0.journal > >> Mediasize: 4477282549248 (4.1T) > >> Sectorsize: 512 > >> Mode: r0w0e0 > >> Consumers: > >> 1. Name: gvinum/plex/array1.p0 > >> Mediasize: 4478356291584 (4.1T) > >> Sectorsize: 512 > >> Mode: r1w1e1 > >> Jend: 4478356291072 > >> Jstart: 4477282549248 > >> Role: Data,Journal > >> --/snip--- > >> > >> So...why is it even touching the plex p0? I figured it would, just > >> like on a disk, if I gave it da0, create da0.journal. Moving on, if I > >> try to newfs the journal, which is now > >> "gvinum/plex/array1.p0.journal", I get: > >> > > Hi, > > > > It think that it touches it because the .p0 contains the gjournal metadata > > in > > the same way that the volume does, so gjournal attaches to that before the > > volume. One problem is that gjournal attaches to the "wrong" provider, but > > it's also silly that the provider is exposed in the first place. A fix for > > this is in a newer version of gvinum (as the plex is not exposed) if you're > > willing to try. > > > > A simpler fix is to use the "-h" - "hardcode provider name" switch to > the "gjournal label" command (see the man page). > Oh, nice feature. I recommend this then :)
-- Ulf Lilleengen _______________________________________________ email@example.com mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"