On Monday, 24 February 2003 at  0:16:48 +0100, Luca Pizzinato wrote:
> Hi Gurus.
>
> I was setting up this box with FreeBSD 4.8 PRERELEASE. I cvsup'd and
> recompiled everything, no problems, then I was configuring volumes with
> vinum. The goal was to have 3 volumes mirrored 0+1.
>
> Well, I attached the mirrors on all the 3 volumes all at once, and after 5
> or 6 minutes (1 volume was already in sync) the box panic'd. I haven't
> seen the messages on console though.
> I tried again to attach the mirrors to the 2 remaning volumes, 10 minutes
> later panic again.

It would be nice to know what the panic was about.  Take a look at
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html for details.

> So when the machine came up, I attached 1 mirror at the time :) no problems.
>
> I wonder if there could be an issue with the load. On the
> /var/log/messages I found quite a few of the following:
>
> Feb 23 23:00:54 cabomba /kernel: ad2d: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 58256191 of
> 28079488-28079615 (ad2 bn 58256191; cn 3626 tn 71 sn 28) retrying
>
> I read a mail where a guy blamed the 40 ribbon IDE cable when used with
> ATA/66 IDE disks, can anyone confirm?

Yes, I've seen something like that.  It's difficult to know whether
it's the same as your problem, though.

Greg
Please note: we block mail from major spammers, notably yahoo.com.
See http://www.lemis.com/yahoospam.html for further details.