directories are. I mean the ones that store themes and backgrounds and
so on. On Linux I'd generally use /usr/share/WindowMaker/*

But my FreeBSD 7.1 system doesn't seem to have that one, and in the 12

packages are in /usr/local, so maybe /usr/local/share/WindowMaker/*

use pkg_info to find exact package name and pkg_info -L packagename to see a file list

or so FreeBSD books I have, it doesn't really mention it.

windowmaker is not part of FreeBSD, why do you expect any FreeBSD book to explain windowmaker?

Where are they exactly? I'd like to add some new themes and some images
for wallpaper as I've been using WM over the other available options lately.