From: Odhiambo Washington [mailto:odhia...@gmail.com]
Sent: Fri 1/23/2009 6:39 AM
To: Michael VanLoon
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Dumb ipnat question

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Michael VanLoon <micha...@noncomposmentis.net>
wrote:

        I have built a simple 7.1 system in a VM.  I built a custom kernel that
is basically GENERIC minus some hardware stuff I don't need, plus a few things
that look cool.

        When I attempt to run the ipnat command, I get the error:
        /dev/ipnat: open: No such file or directory

        Sure enough, there are no ip* devices in /dev/.  In the "olden days",
when I used to do a lot of BSD hacking, you used MAKEDEV to make the devices
you wanted.  Nowadays, it's done with devfs.  I believe the upshot is that it's
supposed to be semi-automagic, isn't it?

        Anyway, what am I doing wrong?  What do I need to configure to use
ipnat and then later ipfw or ipfilter?

Did you load the modules?
ipl_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf and reboot OR
kldload ipl

If you did not compile IPFILTER in the kernel, then you must load the module.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,