Can newsyslog be made to handle large numbers of log
files such as all the *.collect.log files produced in our mrtg
directory?

        Each device produces a log of the polling session and
those logs get huge very quickly. There are 498 such files and
putting a separate line in /etc/newsyslog.conf for each file is
an absurd idea as we are always adding and removing devices from
our network.

        The other alternative is a shell script to run that
would compress each file after renaming it, etc. That is not a
problem, but newsyslog already does that at least on single
files.

        I did try path/*.collect.log and nothing happened.

        Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer