Svein Halvor Halvorsen skrev:
Hi, list!

I have just acquired a new computer to replace an old server. This older server has been running FreeBSD 5.3 since 2004 and most of its packages are way out of date. I've been scared of changing something in fear of rendering the machine unbootable, or some core applications unrunnable.

I want to make sure I have better routines this time around, when I'm starting a-fresh. I'd like to keep my system and packages fairly up to date, and still keep the compiling to a minimum.

Is it possible to pkg_add -r packages from -STABLE on the latest -RELEASE? That is, will the following work, or slowly render my system to an incoherent state:

1) Regularly run freebsd-update
2) Regularly run portsnap
3) Set my PACKAGESITE to the -STABLE location
4) Regularly run portupgrade -P

Will the postsnap'ed index always be in sync with what's available as precompiled packages for -STABLE? Will these -STABLE packages always run on my freebsd-update'd -RELEASE system? If some ports have the NO_PACKAGE bit set, will compiling them against dependencies from -STABLE work, as long as I've run portsnap?

    Svein Halvor

Hello Svein,

When I recently went from 6 to 7 I realized that it is less time-consuming to wipe the machine clean and install fresh from the cd.

The pre-condition for this is separated disks for system and data.

/R