On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Pojken Purken <p...@pp.dyndns.biz> wrote:
> RW wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:27:02 +0100
>> Morgan Wesström <freebsd-questi...@pp.dyndns.biz> wrote:
>>

>>> The section "options enabled" will list them all. I usually only add
>>> "-march=native" to my CFLAGS to enable a few more CPU specific
>>> optimizations.
>>
>> If you set CPUTYPE, -march is set to match, so setting -march=native
>> should be redundant. OTOH a number of other make variables are defined
>> from CPUTYPE, so if you set  -march=native, but not CPUTYPE you might
>> miss some optimisations based on build options.
>>
>> I've no idea whether there are any such options, just that you're
>> probably not going to do better than setting CPUTYPE, and leaving the
>> rest alone.
>
> I'm sorry I was unclear. I set CPUTYPE to native of course which is then
> passed as -march=native to compiler.

The entry in file /var/run/dmesg.boot shows the CPU information as
CPU: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.40 GHz (686-class CPU)

The entry in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf shows CPU types for Intel as
core2 core nocona pentium4m pentium4 prescott pentium3m pentium3 pentium-m
pentium2 pentiumpro pentium-mx pentium i486 i386

What would be the appropriate CPUTYPE specification in this case ?

Is there any table which sort of maps the marketing names of the Intel processor
with the CPU information shown in dmesg ?

--
thanks
Saifi.