> >> AMD64  FreeBSD 7.0  2 GiB main memory
> >>
> >> My console says:
> >>
> >> login: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 22,
> >> size: 4096
> >> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 22, size: 4096
> >> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 22, size: 4096
> >> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 22, size: 4096
> >>
> >> pstat -sk
> >> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
> >> /dev/ad6s10       4590208       96  4590112     0%
> >>
> >> Wow, using a whole 96K of swap.  I don't see any disk related
> >> complaints in dmesg.
> >>
> >> Is this something to worry about?
> >
> > Yes, the system was *trying* to do swap I/O and timing out while doing
> > so.

> isn't swapspace supposed to be on a 'b' partition?  Are you using swap
> on a slice 10?  how is that possible when the i386/amd64 BIOS can't see
> more than 4 primary partitions?
>
> Kris, would you mind giving input to this?  How can there be a s10, and
> how can you add swapspace to a device that isn't a partition 'b' nor a
> file backed swapspace?  Those were the only two ways I thought was
> supported for swap.
>
> Dieter, does my questions above sound to be a correct interpretation of
> your disk setup?

Traditionally swap used the b partition.  But then traditionally, there
weren't MBR style partitions, called "slices" in FreeBSD-land.

I suspect that the computers Unix grew up on (PDP-7, PDP-11, VAX) had
to boot from the beginning of the disk, so the a partition went there.
The Alpha continues in this DEC tradition.  I was about to say that
swap went next for speed, since the machines back then never had enough
main memory, but those old disks didn't have variable number of sectors
on inner vs outer tracks, so the speed would have been the same across
the platter.  So I'm not sure why swap was next.

This machine has 2 GiB of main memory and almost never uses the swap
partition, so I put swap at the slow end of the drive.  Yes I have
swap on slice 10.  I use NetBSD's fdisk, as it handles more than
4 slices nicely, unlike FreeBSD's fdisk.  As far as I know, the BIOS
firmware doesn't need to know about swap.  I think the BIOS firmware
just loads and runs the MBR, which in turn loads and runs the bootstrap
in the selected slice (or loads and runs the MBR in a different disk if
you want).

I suppose I could put a BSD disklabel on slice 10 and set it up
with the whole slice as the b partition.  But as far as I can tell
FreeBSD is happy with /dev/ad6s10.  As I wrote in my previous
message I suspect that the pager/swaper is competing for disk i/o.
I forgot to ask if there is some sysctl or other knob to lengthen
the timeout.  The real fix is to improve the i/o fairness, but I've
been asking about this for 2-3 years and not getting anywhere.