cdr.iso:            ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'CDROM
        642848 -rw-r--r--   1 kline  wheel  657922048 Jan 24 15:34 cdr.iso

        what is the safest command to use to burn to 1. a CD, and 2. a
        DVD?  Since `file' says that cdr.iso is a filesystem, I'm

if it ISO9660 filesystem image.

you may check it before writing this way

mdconfig -a -o readonly -t vnode -f cdr.iso
mount_cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt

then after checking

umount /mnt
mdconfig -d -u 0

(assumed you don't use other md devices that moment, if so, device number will not be md0)

        assuming that I don't need to grow or newfs anything on the disc.

cdrtools for CD
dvd+rw-tools for DVD