On Sunday 25 January 2009 11:01:11 pm Rem P Roberti wrote:

I currently have to retrieve crontab generated system mail from the command
line.  Is it possible to have system mail delivered to my Thunderbird
mail client?

Rem

On a default system, you probably want to edit /etc/aliases an make root mail
get redirected to you ...

In order to do so, open your /etc/aliases file, look for the line that reads:

# Pretty much everything else in this file points to "root", so
# you would do well in either reading root's mailbox or forwarding
# root's email from here.

root:

and edit it so it looks like this:

 # Pretty much everything else in this file points to "root", so
# you would do well in either reading root's mailbox or forwarding
# root's email from here.

root:   yourusername

save the changes and run the following command as root:

newaliases

>From then on, all mail directed to "root" (like those crontab send) will be
forwarded to you .. so all you need to do is set up your mail client to pick
up it's mail from /var/mail/yourusername and there you go :)

Hope that helps.

Regards

   I had made the changes to aliases as soon as I set up the system.  The
   only thing that I have
   yet to do is configure Thunderbird to go fetch user's mail.  I'll try
   setting up a a rule to
   do that and see what happens.  Thanks all for the help.
   Rem