Da Rock wrote:

It can be tricky at first, and I'm not sure about the update-scan
utility you're using. Check out the handbook and just run the directions
from there:

portsnap fetch
portsnap update (or you can run "portsnap fetch update" in one go)

then

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install (or all in one as above)

then (assuming you've installed portupgrade as you mentioned above)

portupgrade -a

then reboot.

If this doesn't work post back your errors and we can help you debug. If
there are no errors in running these steps then all is good! :)

If you want to check your programs are up to date then run the portsnap
steps again and run pkg_version -v. The freebsd-update steps will tell
you whether FreeBSD is up to date.

HTH and good luck.

Thanks, I'm going to give this a try today. I had to take some time last night and redo my set up in the tech room. My Wife and I have an entire bedroom we aren't using (3 bedroom house, one spare room for guests, and one we weren't going to use) so we made one room a tech room with all out computers, and other little gadget workshop
.

After re-arranging some of the monitors and a desktop on my desk, I can now use my BSD test box without neck strain heh.