On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:08:55PM +0200, Reko Turja wrote:
> >so what is the best commercial/shareware that can read a 10pt-font
> >file?  (( also, when i have time to get back into actually hacking,
> >this [[turning imaged pdf into OCR'able ascii or 8859-1]] is giong
> >be a first target.  any idea which team i should go with.  gOCR
> >looks
> >best so far to me.
>
> AABBYY Finereader - Omnipage haven't been able to catch it in several
> years either feature or qualitywise. No idea if Finereader runs under
> emulator though.  If the file is already a PDF and 72 DPI with text as
> graphics most of the damage has already been done, and it will be
> extremely hard to OCR.

        well, damage is probably done.  how can i check the resolution?
        i tried to increase it by creating huge ppm and tif files, but
        then that's really absurd since there can only be just so much
        data per image.  i _could_ try xv and jpeg and smoothing image to
        refine, but too much hassle.

        (i used gocr -m 130 and "saw" the glyphs it (presumably) saw.
        seemed pretty much okay to my eyes.  but then i'm not a computer
        program.  [MAYBE :)]

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix