On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Jaime wrote:

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Wojciech Puchar
<woj...@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
When reading from the tape using tar (bsdtar from FreeBSD 6.2 -- and,
yes, I'm preparing a cvsup as I write this :) ) the tape drive's Alarm
and Fault LEDs are lit up and then camcontrol devlist no longer shows
the tape drive.

TERMINATION PROBLEM

I was thinking of that...  I shut down the server and checked the
usual suspects (terminator on the cable, SCSI IDs, etc.) but didn't
find anything out of place.  Also, the same command in Knoppix (Linux)
using /dev/st0 (the Linux equivalent of /dev/sa0) appeared to write to
the tape and then list the items on that tape.  I didn't see how long
it would take, though.  In retrospect, maybe I should have let that
run longer.  :(

How certain are you that its a termination problem?

It could just be a bad drive or tape, but termination was the first thing that came to mind for me also. The drive giving a fault on a read like that suggests it. Pardon the obvious, but remember that termination is needed at both ends of the SCSI bus, and only at the ends.

There's also the issue of terminator power, which may have been supplied by the old drive but not by the new one.