Hi,

I’m puzzled and either I don’t understand the boot rc.d process or there is
something wrong with it ☺

I have this 7.1-RELEASE-p2 amd64 machine compiled with a GENERIC kernel, so NFS
support is baked right into the kernel by default. In fsstab I have this entry:

<nfs server ip>:/data/nfs-shares/S1018SR18 /nfs-mounts/backupsrv           nfs
        rw            0    0

Further, as per the handbook, I’ve set nfs_client_enable to “YES” in the
rc.conf. During boottime the machine hangs on the console after stating
“Mounting NFS filesystems:”. I notice that _immediately_ after that line there
is a console message saying “em0: link state changed to UP”. Then the system
repeats this line until eternity (well, the max I’ve been waiting has been 30
minutes), no . appears indicating the system has not yet completed the 'mount
-a 't nfs' command from the mountcritremote script.

[udp] <nfs server ip>:/data/nfs-shares/S1018SR18: RPGPROC_MNT: RPC: Timed out

Hitting CTRL-C forces the machine to continue the boot process, aborting the
mountcritremote script. What strikes me is that the actual NFS share has been
mounted, although the boot-process seems to indicate otherwise... After doing a
umount and mount –a –t nfs again the machine has no problem whatsoever.

Something else that puzzles me, when I set the nfs_client_enable=”NO” line in
the rc.conf, the same happens : console hangs on the mountcritremote script
until I hit CTRL-C and after that the share has been mounted anyway? Shouldn’t
the machine ignore nfs filesystems with this rc.conf config?

I’ve removed the entry in fstab and set a line in rc.local and then the
boot-process works fine without interruption.

So I'm currently lost with these questions:

- why does the system tries to mount the nfs filesystem from the fstab while
nfs_client_enable has been set to no in rc.conf?
- why does the system seems to hang on the mountcritremote script although
there seems no valid reason for that. I can imagine the network has not been
fully configured yet when executing (indicated by the link UP message right
after the mouning NFS filesystems line) but why will the script not continue
after a few timeouts? And more bizarre: when interrupting the mountcritremote
script the share has been actually mounted, so it seems the 'mount -a -t nfs'
command has actually been executed successfully.

Any fingerpoints?

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Kind Regards,
Worldmax Operations B.V.