On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Ewald Jenisch wrote:

I'm using the "radeonhd" driver for my graphics card is a ATI Radeon
HD 2400 XT (RV610 chipset).

A note on that: radeonhd hasn't been particularly functional on the cards I've tried. The radeon driver seems to be more solid, and will work on that card.

o) Are the above settings (i.e. AllowEmptyInput and the sections for
keyboard/mouse) correct for my combination of hald and moused running?

If that's all you have in ServerFlags, remove that section and just put the entry in ServerLayout.

Others have mentioned using Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off" instead of AllowEmptyInput. With hald and moused enabled, that works fine here.