On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Alain G. Fabry wrote:

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:18:10PM -0800, Luke Dean wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Glen Barber wrote:

Luke Dean wrote:

The operating system and ports were all cvsupped and built from source
today.  I'm running Xorg + windowmaker + the "radeon" driver on i386
7-STABLE

My xorg.conf was built from scratch by "Xorg -configure", plus I added
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
to the "ServerLayout" section, per /usr/ports/UPDATING, since I'm not
running hal and I can't get keyboard or mouse otherwise.

Everything appears to be great.  My applications launch much faster than
they did before the upgrade.  Shutting down and restarting X is the only
problem I'm having.  This was not a problem before I upgraded to the new
Xorg.

This is a desktop system.  I launch X with "startx" from the console.  I
can shut down X either by exiting windowmaker or by killing the Xorg
server with ctrl+alt+backspace.  There appear to be some failure messages
on the console when I shut down X, but I don't know what they mean or
if they're important.  I'm attaching a log below.  I don't see any stuck
processes after the shutdown, but perhaps I don't know what I'm looking
for.

If I later restart X with "startx", some corrupted graphical junk appears
on the screen and the system freezes solid.  Keyboard and mouse are
completely unresponsive.  NumLock light won't change.  I can't ssh into
the system either.
I can reproduce this at will, but my hard drives don't like it.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
Do I need to switch to hal?

Have you read /usr/ports/UPDATING?

Well.. yeah... See my second paragraph above.
Is there something in there that I'm not seeing that explains why
restarting X would hang the whole system?

You by any chance don't have dual-headed X configured? I had a similar problem and after removing my second ServerLayout section + RgbPath + 'AllowEmptyInput' in xorg.conf, everything seems to work again (even my dual display ???)

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier     "X.org Configured"
       Screen      0  "PANEL" 0 0
       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
       Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

# Removed after upgrade xorg...

#Section "ServerLayout"
#       Identifier     "X.org Configured"
#       Screen      0  "PANEL" 0 0
#       Screen      1  "VGA_1" RightOf "PANEL"
#       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
#       InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
#        Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
#       Option  "Xinerama" "true"
#EndSection

No, just one monitor and just one ServerLayout section.
I just discovered that switching from "radeon" to "vesa" makes the problem
go away for me.