On Thursday 29 January 2009 22:02:35 Tore Lund wrote:
> Subject line says it all - large gaps between all letters.  Here is a
> screenshot: http://softblur.com/misc/spacing.jpg.
>
> I suppose there are others who run firefox3 under wine on 7.1-RELEASE
> with no problems, so can anyone think of what's wrong?  I have imported
> fonts from my Windows 2000 installation, and I am using the same profile
> that works well with native FreeBSD firefox and firefox on Windows 2000.
> I believe this did not happen with firefox2.  Grateful for any hint.

What exactly did you do to import those fonts? You should put them in a
separate directory under /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts, create fonts.scale
and fonts.dir in that directory using mkfontscale and mkfontdir, then
run "fc-cache -f -v" and (for completeness) add a FontPath entry to
your xorg.conf.

Alternatively, you can install the x11-fonts/webfonts port, which
contains the most commonly used fonts.

> (Actually, I only use wine in order to get flash9, so if anyone could
> help me solve this problem instead, that's even better.  I have tried
> the available recipes with no success - my firefox3 just freezes.)

Try to get it to work under linux-firefox first.

- Remove all linux-*, linux_base-* and nspluginwrapper packages you've
  currently installed.
- Remove any stale npwrapper plugins from the following directories and
  their subdirectories:
  ~/.mozilla/plugins
  /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
  /usr/local/lib/npapi
  /usr/local/lib/firefox/plugins

- Check that you have these settings in each file:
  * /etc/make.conf: OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8
  * /etc/sysctl.conf: compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16
  * /etc/rc.conf: linux_enable="YES"
  * /etc/fstab:
linprocfs       /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw      0       0

- Reboot or alternatively you can run these commands as root:
  sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16
  mount /compat/linux/proc

- Install www/linux-firefox and www/linux-flashplugin9.
- Check if the plugin works in linux-firefox.

- Install www/nspluginwrapper.
- Run these commands as root:
  nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
  ln -sf /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
/usr/local/lib/npapi/symlinks/firefox/
- Check if the plugin works in native firefox.

This should get the plugin working, but it'll still crash or freeze the
browser sometimes. You can kill the plugin with "killall npviewer.bin".
You also might want to install a plugin like www/xpi-flashblock.