I'm using the amd64 version of FreeBSD for an HP Pavillion using an Intel Core 2 Quad processor (Q6600).

So far it's doing fine with the processor. There are some driver problems, for instance no sound. However, as I'm using this machine as a compute server, I'm ignoring those limitations. I ran some parallel computation problem on it and got good performance out of it.

-Will

Ivailo Tanusheff wrote:
You may use amd64 version for full support of the 64 functionalities.
Do not get the wrong impression, this is not only for AMD processors and allow you to use the full strength of the 64 bit architecture. You may also use i386 branch and use PAE config options if you have more than 4 GB RAM.

Still, the best idea is to use amd64 version.

Regards,