Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
On 2/2/09, Chris Whitehouse <cwhi...@onetel.com> wrote:
Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p2

Since a few days I've noticed something weird. On booting, all the
text I see is shifted to the left, so I lose the first ten letters or
so in every line of text.

After login, once I type "startx" the X Window system seems to be OK
_and_ if I go back to a console with Alt-Ctrl-Fn the console is fine
again.

My graphic card is an ATI Radeon HD2400.

Anybody noticed it?

Thanks in advance.

PS: In console mode, reset command doesn't fix the problem.

Adjust the horizontal position with the controls on the monitor while
booting? My LCD flat panel has an auto adjust button which does the same
thing.

Yep, but the point is that it worked fine some time ago (probably with
-p1, though I'm not sure). And as I said after using X, if I go back
again to console mode, monitor settings are correct. Doesn't this
means there is some kind of problem with video at start up?
None of my other operating systems in that machine suffer this problem.

Thanks
.
I thought maybe it was a problem that occurred with whatever graphics driver is loaded on boot and that it goes away once the ATI driver is loaded but maybe not. I just tested mine by using the screen controls to set the screen over to one side while booting. Once X starts and the nvidia driver loads the screen position is fine, however going to a console (ctrl-alt-Fn) the screen is still displaced unlike yours. Sorry if that suggestion doesn't fix it.

Chris