At 05:43 PM 2/1/2009, Dan Nelson wrote:

Do you have "options LIBALIAS" in your kernel config?

Nope. There was nothing that said that such an option was needed
(or even that it existed). I did find it, via a recursive grep, in
a file labeled "NOTES" a couple of levels up in the directory
hierarchy. I'm trying a compile now to see if that's all that's
needed to fix the problem.

It looks as if there's no longer one easy place to find out how to
configure a kernel. The options used to all be in a LINT file that
was present in the configuration directory.... No more.

The LINT file moved from a static file to a dynamically-generated file a while ago since not all options are applicable for all platforms.

A generic NOTES file (in /usr/src/sys/conf) is combined with a platform-specific NOTES file (in /usr/src/sys/<platform>/conf, where <platform> is i386, amd64, pc98, etc) to create the LINT file.

$ cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
$ make LINT
cat ../../conf/NOTES NOTES | sed -E -n -f ../../conf/makeLINT.sed > LINT

Regards,
--
Matt Emmerton