Da Rock wrote:
> I feel like a real newbie asking this one, but the answer is still
> eluding me :(
>
> I have a system where I'm separating my servers for distinction so I'm
> running qemu.
>
> I have a bridge setup which works occasionally, but I need it to work
> 100% of the time. I also need this to run at boot time, which is where
> it seems to fall short (not to mention that on occasion even the re
> driver fails to load- not sure if its hardware or software yet, but
> appears to have no bearing on the bridge problem; I could still get an
> ip address via dhcp when the bridge is not working).
>
> My loader.conf looks like this:
>
> snd_hda_load=YES
> if_bridge_load=YES
> if_tap_load=YES
>
> My rc.conf looks like this:
>
> cloned_interfaces="bridge0 tap0"
> autobridge_interface="bridge0"
> autbridge_bridge0="re0 tap0"
> ifconfig_re0="up"
> ifconfig_tap0="up"
> ifconfig_bridge0="DHCP"
>
> If I tell re0 to use DHCP as well, I can access the host, but not the
> guest. If I run qemu in a script, the guest cannot get a DHCP address.
>
> This seems to happen intermittently- one problem then the other. If the
> bridge fails to get an ip from dhcp, I find re going down just after
> bridge0 starts looking for an ip- re comes up again after that starts.
> If bridge0 does get an ip, the tap0 will go down and qemu guest can't
> get an ip.
>
> I feel like I'm going round in circles now. Using rc.conf nothing
> appears to be happening in order- things seem to be going up and down
> when they feel like instead of when they should. I need this to be
> stable, not a "cross your fingers and toes, we're going in" scenario-
> which is what bridging appears to be like at startup. Manually I can get
> it working off the bat, but I'm trying to get this working within the
> framework provided.
>
> For reference the sysctl.conf settings mentioned in some circles are
> useless in 7.1- net.link.ether.bridge_cfg and
> net.link.ether.bridge.enable aren't recognized.

Can you stabilize the bridge at boot, without any other software
starting up?

If not, does re0 get set up consistently with the same config with a
basic setup?

I had similar issues a while back (pre 7.1) in which sometimes 're'
devices didn't start up at the proper speed/duplex. Every once in a
while, it would show up at 10 or 100 half, when it should have been auto
set at full 100 or 1000. If I forced proper speed/duplex, other outside
programs began to work properly.

However, I haven't witnessed those issues since 7.1

Steve