On Feb 11, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Keith Palmer wrote:
We have a FreeBSD server with multiple users. I would rather each user
*not* be able to view other users' files via an SSH or SFTP session. i.e. if I'm logged in as "keith" I should *not* get a list of files when I do
"ls /home/shannon"

I realize I can fix this by setting the permissions on the "/home/ shannon"
directory to 700. *However* then Apache (running as user "www") won't
display the documents in "/home/shannon/public_html" from
"http://ip-address/~shannon/";, instead returning a "403 Forbidden" error.

This is an old, old problem; a reasonable solution is to create a $USER/private directory with 700 permissions for each user, and have them put anything which they consider "secret" under there.

--
-Chuck