David Newman wrote:
On 2/12/09 4:41 PM, Jerry McAllister wrote:
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 04:06:49PM -0800, David Newman wrote:

What's the canonical method for checking ufs file systems on a FreeBSD
7.1/amd64 system after an unscheduled power outage?
How about fsck

Right. I'm asking procedurally how that's invoked -- eg., do I need to
boot into single-user mode, what filesystem(s) do I mount and how, what
switches if any do I use with fsck and so on.

thanks!

dn

////jerry

thanks

dn

It's part of the bootup scripts now. It runs in the background 60 seconds after the login prompt shows up (not exactly, but close to 60 secs)

it's the background_fsck option that defaults to YES in /etc/rc startup. only if there's major problems will it bail out, screaming for help. it'll drop you into a shell telling you that the filesystems need repair.

--Tim