Hi all,

One of my machines is running FreeBSD 4.11. It's a bit confused about
its current incarnation of gcc:

[sh...@agaliarept lang]$ pkg_info | grep gcc
gcc-3.4.6_3,1       GNU Compiler Collection 3.4
[sh...@agaliarept lang]$ gcc -v
Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]

Another of my machines, which runs FreeBSD 6.4, has gcc 3.4.6:

[sh...@falwell shaun]$ pkg_info | grep gcc
[sh...@falwell shaun]$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.6 [FreeBSD] 20060305

Is it safe to install one of the newer gcc ports on FreeBSD 4.11? I've
had this machine for three years; I don't recall ever upgrading the
compiler, although pkg_info seems to think that I did, or at least
attempted to. I'm wondering if there are any risks involved in going
from gcc 2.95 to, say, 3.4.6. Typically I'm happy to pull the latest
stable of just about anything, but the compiler is a different story.

Thanks,

Shaun