I'm running FreeBSD 7.0 on a soekris 4801 with an image built by nanobsd. It's a small piece of headless hardware that boots from a compact flash drive - no moving parts.

I wanted to update the operating system to 7.1 and install some more packages on it, so I built a new image with nanobsd and uploaded it to the second partition using nanobsd's updatep2 tool. The new image mounts fine, but the last line of updatep2, "boot0cfg -s 2 -v ${NANO_DRIVE}" fails with the message I've quoted in the subject line.

The machine boots fine, but I can't provoke any kind of response from boot0cfg except for input/output errors. I'd like to make the machine start booting from the second slice.

Any ideas?