John Almberg wrote:

On Feb 16, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Roland Smith wrote:

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:55:50AM -0500, John Almberg wrote:
Can anyone suggest a way to convert a tab-delimited file to csv using
standard unix utilities? I could whip up a Ruby script to do it, but

As long as the files don't contain commas themselves,

Right, that's the tricky bit. I could use tr otherwise.

I hate to reinvent the wheel.

I'd whip up that script. There is a shareware tab2csv utility for
windows for $49.95: http://www.download32.com/info-pack-com-tab2csv-i31827.html

I'm working on it, right now.

I also saw that windows utility, but doesn't help me much.

OTOH, if you have a spreadsheet program like Gnumeric or OpenOffice
installed, you might be able to script those to import from tab-delimited
and export to CSV. Admittedly that is like using a nuke to kill a fly.

Actually, the problem arises because I have a client who is exporting a 'database' file from Excel 2000 (don't ask), to .csv, and Excel is so stupid that it is not putting quotes around a field that contains commas. Duh.

Excel seems to export to tab-delimited format without making any fatal errors, but I need a real .csv file for import.

Thus my need to convert from tab to (real) csv.

-- John

There is this:

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/arb/psion/

Have no idea if it complies or works as you want.

But if you're dealing with just one so called "database" from Excel I would go with either checking the settings on the Excel export(in OO.org you can specify w/ or w/out quotes) as they may have missed the option. Or simply get the original file, open it in OO.org and do it from there as was basically suggested earlier.

I would have thought something like would exist as it's certainly useful like dos2unix