I'm working on a little experimental script and I'm wondering if there
is any kind of limit as to how many files or subdirectories a directory
can have.

I'm in the planing stages at the moment and I'm think that I may have
upto 4096 directories in a single directory, each of these 4096
directories could have upto 4096 sub directories...

The other option I have (if this is too many) is to have 256
subdirectories (I'm guessing this on will not be a problem)