Hi,

I'm following Ceri's instructions for getting FreeBSD on a flash
drive.  My laptop is a Feb 1 -current, I'm installing FreeBSD 7.1, and
the instructions are for 6.1, so we have all kinds of things that
could be going wrong.

The USB boots with the error:

F1 FreeBSD
F6 PXE
Boot: F1

Not ufs
Not ufs
No /boot/loader

When I investigated the flash's disklabel, I saw:

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  4000106       16    unused        0     0
  c:  4000122        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't edit

I newfs'd this flash drive and put data on it.  The obvious thing to
do is set the disklabel for partition a to 4.2BSD.  Even if I have to
reinstall the data, no big deal.

So, run bsdlabel -e /dev/da0s1 and change the disklabel to:

#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  4000106       16    4.2BSD        0     0
  c:  4000122        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't edit

Then I get the error:

bsdlabel: Class not found
re-edit the label? [y]:

The same error appears if I try to edit the disklabel off-disk and
restore (-R).

Google tells me that this error is not uncommon, but the only
solutions I saw (loading geom_mbr and setting kern.geom.debugflags=16)
did not help.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Or, can anyone tell me I'm running down
the wrong path?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas        mwlu...@blackhelicopters.org, mwlu...@freebsd.org
Latest book:  Cisco Routers for the Desperate, 2nd Edition