On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Steve Franks wrote:

I have personally found very few card readers that reliably detect a
card, then allow you to mount and use it on 7.1 without a freeze, or a
crash on mount or *after* or *during* unmount (I'm not a reformed
ubuntu user, I don't just rip the card out and expect it to work).
More typically, however, they just never show a card inserted.

My external Sandisk Extreme USB 2.0 reader is a little like that. I just leave it disconnected. Load a card and then plug the USB cable into the reader and it works fine.

Recent hal and (xfce) Thunar seem a little confused, so now when it automounts the card and pops up a Thunar window, it also pops up windows for /, /var, /tmp, and /usr. Haven't had time to figure out what's going on there, yet.