long name. I tried to do a hard link on it.
ln /usr/local/bin/dos2unix /usr/local/bin/d2u
This command is accepted without error, but when it execute it
d2u xxxx.txt
I get message ==oops you renamed me using unix2dos instead.
I also tried
ln -s /usr/local/bin/dos2unix /usr/local/bin/d2u
and got same results. ls -l does not show dos2unix as linked all ready.

What am I doing wrong here?

it HAS to be called dos2unix - this program reacts on the name it was called as because dos2unix and unix2dos are the same binary.

if called as d2u - it doesn't know what to do.

use shell aliases