On Mar 2, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Mel wrote:

This is hard to debug, but I'd first toggle the PERL_MALLOC option in the configuration dialog for the perl port. If this doesn't solve the problem, then you'd have to get a ktrace to get some indication of what is allocating
the memory.

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll try compiling Perl and it's dependencies without using PERL_MALLOC.

What's even weirder is that the process gets that far. Did you play with
kern.maxdsiz loader tuneable?
If so, set it lower, so you can at least have the machine in a usable state at all times. 4G should be enough for any process and should give enough time
for you to spot the leak and get a ktrace.

Nope, I haven't tweaked any kernel settings, just using the generic DEFAULT amd64 kernel. I've been way about tweaking settings because I don't fully understand what the 'correct' values for my setup are.