In Mar 3, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Mel wrote:

On Monday 02 March 2009 16:21:53 Andrew Moran wrote:

What's even weirder is that the process gets that far. Did you play
with
kern.maxdsiz loader tuneable?
If so, set it lower, so you can at least have the machine in a
usable state at
all times. 4G should be enough for any process and should give
enough time
for you to spot the leak and get a ktrace.

Nope, I haven't tweaked any kernel settings, just using the generic
DEFAULT amd64 kernel.   I've been way about tweaking settings because
I don't fully understand what the 'correct' values for my setup are.

Could you show kenv kern.maxdsiz and if unset limits -H -d? Looks like it's
32G on my 6.x amd64, in which case setting it is a good idea.
echo 'kern.maxdsiz="8G"' >> /boot/loader.conf
echo 'kern.defdsiz="4G"' >> /boot/loader.conf

Thank you for helping me. The earlier suggestion of toggling Perl Malloc didn't work, nor did syncing sources and installing new kernel and new world which is what I did lsat night.

As for kernel settings, I don't have anything in my loader.conf, and I'm not entirely sure how to show things that aren't sysctls, as this one doesn't seem to be:

celebrian# sysctl -a | grep kern.maxdsiz
celebrian# sysctl -a | grep kern.defdsiz
celebrian#

(Btw, using Perl Malloc didn't work, nor did syncing sources and installing new kernel and new world.)

I'm going to try your settings in loader.conf and see if they work for me.

--Andy