On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Olivier Nicole <o...@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of new Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 16GB RAM and I found
> the following issue when trying to install FreeBSD.
>
> FreeBSD i386 6.4_RELENG
> =======================
>
> 8 GB RAM: OK except "acpi_alloc_makeop_handler: can't alloc wake
>          memory" corrected with PR 120515
>
> 16GB RAM: panic: "pmap_mapdev: could'n allocate kernel vistual memory"
>          when loading miibus
>
> 32GB RAM: panic as soon as the kernel loads, cannot read the error
>          message (several pages)
>
> FreeBSD i386 7.1
> ================
>
> Plain distribution, I have not yet upgraded to RELENG.
>
> It reports for each CPU, on GENERIC and PAE kernel:
>
>    cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
>    est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
>    est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
>    est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 471b471b0600471b
>
> 8 GB RAM: OK
>
> 16GB RAM: OK
>
> 32GB RAM: panic as soon as the kernel loads
>
> I got the 32GB RAM by combining the memory from both servers.
>
> I'd prefer using legacy kernel (6.4) but I beleive 7.1 is OK too.
>
> One of the server will not be installed for a while and I could run
> test on it if I am directed what to doo.
>
> I can repost to a more appropriate list if I am told what list would
> be the best.

Hmm, while not adding any value, I thank God you started off this thread. I
have two of those I should be installing any time now. However, I am going
to use 7.1-STABLE on them.

I see no reason why you should run 6.4 at all though. What's your motivation
towards thaat angle?

I suggest you install the 7.1 and update it to -STABLE then see if anything
changes as regards the CPU (est message), while we wait for the magic word
from the dedicated developers.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,