Peter Steele wrote:
I have a process with creates bootable USB disks with FreeBSD 7.0.
The creation of the USB disks is prettystraightforward. We have a
master OS image saved as a tarball, and when we want to create a new
USB disk, we simply create a single bootable UFS partition on the
target USB drive and then extract and copy the tarball image onto the
USB disk.

We just got a bunch of new 4GB USB disks from a different
manufacturer than we had been using and when we try to boot a system
with this disk the BIOS reports a "missing operating system" error.
Well, the OS is definitely not missing, so I assume that the BIOS
can't read the boot info from the USB drive for some reason. Is there
a way around this? Surely there must be away to get a bootable OS
onto a USB drive, regardless of it's brand.

unsubscribe, send any mail to
"freebsd-questions-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"

Shot in the dark but are they by any chance U3 devices?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

Chris