At 11:38 AM 2.28.2003 -0800, Steve Warwick wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>I am looking at (finally) upgrading from 4.3 to 4.7 and before I dive in,
>has anyone had the pleasure of doing this? Did it go OK? Are there any
>gotchas to watch out for?
>
>Suggestions and upgrade experiences welocome :)
>

>Steve

Yes, indeed. These are among the biggest you will have to contend with:

20020404:
        Due to the import of sendmail 8.12.2 (see 20020325 entry), a new
        user and group are required in order for sendmail to run as a
        set-group-ID binary.  A 'make installworld' will use the new user
        and group to set the owner and group of /var/spool/clientmqueue
        and will fail if the new user and group do not exist.  The 'smmsp'
        user and group must be merged from src/etc/group and
        src/etc/master.passwd before using 'make installworld'.
        'mergemaster -p' will do this.  You may need to install
        mergemaster before this will work if you are updating from a
        very old version of stable.  This can be done with:
        cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster; make all install

20020325:
        sendmail 8.12.2 has been imported.  The sendmail binary is no
        longer a set-user-ID root binary and the infrastructure to support
        command line mail submission has changed.  Be sure to run
        mergemaster (especially for updating /etc/rc, /etc/defaults/rc.conf,
        and /etc/mail) and read /etc/mail/README for more details.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net