Don't you have control over this web form??? That's the place
you should filter your input... The sooner you do the filtering
the better.

Anyway, you could also use an intermediate variable that replaces
all newlines with spaces.

# a="This
> is
> the
> input
> from the
> web server"
# b=`echo $a`
# sed "s/foo/$b/"
foo
This is the input from the web server
^D#

I hope you won't go that route though... Nikos

Yes - I have control of that - so I could filter out the problem in php. The only problem is that I don't know what I am filtering. If I know exactly what the erroneous characters are I could filter them - I have looked at the file in vi but the problematic characters are invisible there.