Gary Kline wrote:
>       guys, this is for any compression experts on-list.  my main desktop is
> nearly
>       full.  i'm looking for the best means of compressing [mostly] audio
> files.
>       mp3, ogg, and .flag.  i cross backup among my servers and would like to
> have
>       the most reasoned approach to compressing my ~/Music/ files.  is
> rar/unrar
>       better that bzip -9?  is there any new/forthcoming archiver on the
> horizon?
man shar

Just kidding!

I would look into archivers/bunzip and archivers/p7zip.  I recall
reading that the 7z format produces better compression rates than RAR
for already compressed audio files but I don't remember the source.  The
file formats you mentioned are already compressed and depending on the
contents you probably won't get /much/ better than you have now.

--
Eitan Adler
"Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."