lame -h -b 96 - i was able to tell the difference on every song, but it
wasn't really huge deal.

        hm.  oh, yeah, my new box has to have a superior soundcard.  and
        i'll pony up for even better speakers too.  (so when i'm ready,
        i'll ask what's best.  maybe find something on ebay.)

        my hearing is exceptionally good and while call myself an
        audiophile,  having all my tunes right here at fingertips is

i don't call myself audiophile (rather opposite, but i have normal hearing), just wanted to point out how much is really enough.

do use -h -V 3 when compressing.

        a major win.  having said that, can you point me to a basic
        tutorial on lame?  i've got 1581620 blocks of mp3 @ 128kbit.
        lectures.  when i tried to cut the quality even by a bit it was
        evident immediately.  rar compresses these file to
        1482404 blocks very very slowly.  it probably makes sense to just
        burn the mp3 files to a dvd and be safe.

--
Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
   The 2.23a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php