On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Keith Seyffarth wrote:

As i said the packages worked for me. Blow away the xfce and xorg ports
and do the xorg mega package and the xfce mega package. if that fails
then bkup your user data and install a clean virgin version of 7.1 and
the xorg and xfce packages.

It looks like this was a step in the WRONG direction. Having removed
XORG, it won't install. It appears that xorg requires xorg-drivers
(understandable), and xorg-drivers requires xf86-video-via (OK), and
xf86-video-via requires a PCI Video Card to be installed.

make clean install -k in x11-drivers/xorg-drivers will make
xorg-drivers install, but make clean install -k in x11/xorg won't
install because xf86-video-via is ignored.

That -k option to make is unnecessary and possibly bad. Stop using it for now.

cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
make clean
make config-recursive
(choose configuration for everything)
make install

Anyone have another suggestion? At this point, I need to get X
installed so I can even consider a window manager.

Instead of waiting for the ports to build, install the package:

pkg_add -r xorg